After we finished up our month of Kiswahili classes our group was given two weeks of independent travel time. I went west and south with four other girls: Liz (Olaf), Sara (Luther), Stacey (Concordia) and Wendy (Concordia).
We started in Iringa – which is probably my favorite city of all of the places that I have been to so far. The city itself is beautiful (and clean! although I’m not sure how because I could never find a trash can...), not too big, not too small and not too touristy.
I was amazed by the way that we were treated. Normally when shopping in Tanzania there is a wazungu (white person) tax added onto all purchases (some places more than others) but all of the prices that we were quoted in Iringa were fair! I did absolutely no bargaining which is just ridiculous.
So often you meet amazingly friendly people, but you aren’t sure how genuinely interested in you they actually are. It was such an amazing feeling to be welcomed in by shop keepers eager to meet and talk with you, but not looking to rip you off. Needless to say I spent LOTS of money...
The markets were not the only place I lost money in Iringa though - another awesome attraction was Neema’s Craft Workshop. Neema’s is a facility that provides people who have physical disabilities with education and training in a variety of art crafts which are then sold in an adjoining gallery. It is the only facility of its kind in the country which made it even more amazing!
We took a tour of the workshop itself and got to see people working on weavings, jewelry design, paper making (using either maize leaves and elephant dung) and bead making using recycled glass. All of which totally suckers you into spending lots and lots of money in the shop – I loved it!
After three days in Iringa we headed to Tukuyu. The town of Tukuyu was far less warm and friendly but just as beautiful. Stacey, Wendy and I spent one of our days climbing Mount Rungwe, which is a dormant volcano and the 3rd largest mountain in Tanzania. The majority of the hike was through the rain forest and amazingly beautiful but unfortunately when we got to the top we were in a cloud and didn’t get much of a view.
After Tukuku we spent 5 days in a row traveling. Most often our schedules consisted of waking up at 5, spending all day on a bus, getting off and trying to find a hostel, trying to find somewhere to eat and then crashing in bed. We moved from Tukuyu to Mbeya, Mbeye to Songea, Songea to Tunduru, Tunduru to Masasi, and Masasi to Kiliwa Masoko.
Left to Right: Stacey, Sara, Me, Liz and Wendy)
When we finally reached Kiliwa Masoko we stopped to spend one whole day there soaking in the sun and swimming in the ocean before returning to Dar.
We have now experienced the full range of transportation in Tanzania! In town the public transport buses are daladalas. Daladalas only seat something like 15 people but I think the maximum number that we have counted in one at a given time is 29 (this number does not include live chickens which often accompany us also) - because the only law pertaining to them is that the door must be closed.
This rule however does not apply to coach or coaster buses... but only the most expensive lines actually adhere to restrictions on numbers of passengers. Our trip from Mbeye to Songea was on a full 45 seat coach bus – with 20 something extra passengers standing in the aisle! All of us sat through a nine hour ride with either someone in their lap or crouched over and around them. Personal space is not really a concept understood here...
After a long, hot and overcrowded ride to Songea we went to book our tickets to Tunduru and decided that we would take the back five seats of the next bus – thinking that that way we would all be together, we wouldn’t have to worry about people crowding us and Sarah (who is 6 feet tall) could have the middle seat and leg room.
What we didn’t think about was the fact that the back row usually has less leg room than the rest of the bus (which already isn’t enough leg room for anyone over 5’5’’...) or the fact that we had just chosen to sit in the back of the bus on the road that our guide book calls “easily the worst road in the country”. Kids in elementary school fight over the back seats on the school bus for a reason - it gets the best bumps. Ooops!
So we’re impossibly squished into the back row and riding on the worst bus that I have ridden on so far. The window in the back didn’t seal so tons of red dust kept pouring in – staining our bags and clothes. Three of our seat cushions weren’t secured to their frames and kept moving with every bump and one of them kept sinking further and further into the floor as we drove so that by the end of the trip Stacey was a full 3 inches below the rest of us!
Despite all of the problems with the bus I do think that it somehow magical because it was able to defy all laws of physics! We were flying down horrible unpaved roads and full of dips and turns! At one point I turned to the group and told them that I had had a really enjoyed meeting them and traveling around Tanzania but that I didn’t think we were going to make it... I was convinced that I was either going to smack my head on the ceiling of the bus or that we were going to tip over!
Thankfully we survived – although not without bruised bottoms and knees and sore backs. Never again will I complain about leg room on an airplane or pot holes! Coming back to campus has been luxurious in comparison to all of the places we have stayed and things that we have experienced in the past two weeks!
We have another two weeks before classes are supposed to start and a family friend of Chris’ has invited us to stay at her place in Moshi, which happens to be on the slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro! We leave on Tuesday to go relax up north for a couple days and then return to campus on the 22nd to get ready for the Tanzanian students to come back!
No comments:
Post a Comment