While we were still in Rwanda Jinna got a phone call from the American Embassy in Tanzania asking her how she was doing because they had gotten word that students were being evicted from campus.
When we left campus on Thursday of last week the student riot was just getting heated and pre-strike demonstrations were happening, but nothing serious. We were informed by others still on campus that the strike officially began on Monday.
(Taken from a local newspaper)According to student bylaws if the student body strikes lasted for 3 days or longer classes would be canceled for the rest of the semester.
And they are.
We got back to Dar es Salaam last night, and the campus looks just like it did this summer before students arrived. The large cafeterias are closed, the small shops empty, and the people are gone. There is little evidence that I ever had a roommate, or other floormates.
Apparently it is up to our individual professors if they want to continue giving lectures to only international/temporary students. Although some have given the impression that this could happen, I doubt that it will. Tanzanians are notoriously hesitant in giving bad news, and I don’t see how we could continue having lectures and seminars in the same manner that we had been.
Thankfully my program is set up to guarantee that I receive academic credit for the semester through the assignments and research that we have in addition to our course work. However I had planned on getting a GE and SoAn elective out of the way as well, and now that that isn’t possible I’m not sure that I can complete both of my majors.
Ooooh Tanzania.
Yesterday was the one month mark before my return home. I can’t wait to be back and to see everyone! I can’t believe how fast time has gone and how much has happened.
Despite the fact that I know time has passed on your side of the world, I fully expect it to be late summer when I land in Minneapolis in December. It hard to believe that I’m sweating in my dorm room typing this, as many of you are bundled in layers of clothing with heat emitting from your radiators.
See you soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment